[petsc-users] DMPlex/PetscSF How to determine if local topology is other rank's ghost?

Toby Isaac toby.isaac at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:46:56 CDT 2022

A leaf point is attached to a root point (in a star forest there are only
leaves and roots), so that means that a root point would be the point that
owns a degree of freedom and a leaf point would have a ghost value.

For a "point SF" of a DMPlex:

- Each process has a local numbering of mesh points (cells + edges + faces
+ vertices): they are all potential roots, so the number of these is what
is returned by `nroots`.

- The number of ghost mesh points is `nleaves`.

- `ilocal` would be a list of the mesh points that are leaves (using the
local numbering).

- For each leaf in `ilocal`, `iremote` describes the root it is attached
to: which process it belongs to, and its id in *that* process's local
numbering.

If you're trying to create dof numberings on your own, please consider
PetscSectionCreateGlobalSection: <
https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/PetscSection/PetscSectionCreateGlobalSection/>.
You supply the PetscSF and a PetscSection which says how many dofs there
are for each point and whether any have essential boundary conditions, and
it computes a global PetscSection that tells you what the global id is for
each dof on this process.