[petsc-users] different periodicity per dof in DMDA?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:07:28 CDT 2022

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 11:25 AM Matteo Semplice <
matteo.semplice at uninsubria.it> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I know that when I create a DMDA I can select periodic b.c. per grid
> direction.
>
> I am facing a PDE with 2 dofs per node in which one dof has periodic
> b.c. in the x direction and the other one periodic b.c. in the y
> direction. Is there a (possibly quick-and-dirty) solution to represent
> this in a DM (not necessarily a DMDA)?

I am trying to understand what this means. Usually we think of periodicity
as arising from the domain, not the field.

I think it would be easiest to:

  a) Use two different DMDA for the fields that "match up" where needed

or

  b) Use a DMStag since it sounds like these should live on horizontal and
vertical edges