[petsc-users] MatCreateSBAIJ

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Mar 21 16:48:48 CDT 2022

> On Mar 21, 2022, at 4:36 PM, Sam Guo <sam.guo at cd-adapco.com> wrote:
>
> Barry,
>    Thanks. Could you elaborate? I try to implement the matrix-vector multiplication for a symmetric matrix using shell matrix.

     Consider with three ranks

   (a)  =   ( A    B  D) (x)
   (b)       ( B'   C  E) (y)
   (c)       ( D'   E'  F) (w)

      Only the ones without the ' are stored on the rank. So for example B is stored on rank 0.

       Rank 0 computes A x and keeps it in a. Rank 1 computes Cy and keeps it in b Rank 2 computes Fw and keeps it in c

       Rank 0 computes B'x and D'x. It puts the nonzero entries of these values as well as the values of x into slvec0

       Rank 1 computes E'y and puts the nonzero entries as well as the values into slvec0

       Rank 2 puts the values of we needed by the other ranks into slvec0

       Rank 0 does B y_h + D z_h where it gets the y_h and z_h values from slvec1 and adds it to a

       Rank 1 takes the B'x from slvec1 and adds it to b it then takes the E y_h values where the y_h are pulled from slvec1 and adds them b

       Rank 2 takes the B'x and E'y from slvec0 and adds them to c.