[petsc-users] [Ext] Re: Two simple questions on building

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:56:16 CDT 2022

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 9:30 AM Ernesto Prudencio via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Thanks, Matt.
>

> Regarding the blas/lapack used by PETSc via the –download-fblaslapack
> configuration option: are the libraries consumed as .a or as .so?

Those are .a

> My question was related to the situation where they would be .so, with my
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing first to the MKL path and then to the PETSc path.
> Would that cause PETSc to use the blas/lapack from MKL at run time, instead
> of the blas/lapack use at compilation time?

It would, but since BLAS/LAPACK does not have a standard ABI there can
still be problems I think.

> Regarding your question on (a): at the end of the PETSc building process,
> a docker image has to be created, but then there are some soft links in the
> supplied MKL library which are not resolved. The problem boils down to
> details on where the MKL is actually located, and the overall compilation
> environment used for all software, where certain rules have to be enforced
> for all.

Oh, yes for a container you would have to install MKL into the container
just as you would install it anywhere else. Then install PETSc in the
container.
I have done that for another project and got it to work.