[petsc-users] Petsc configure with download hdf5 fortrtan bindings

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 15 10:36:58 CDT 2022

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022, Shah Vitesh via petsc-users wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am on a linux mahine which has no internet connection. I am trying to install PETSc to use it in a crystal plasticity software.
> I am trying to follow a script given to me for PETSc installation that would work with this software.  In the script during the configuration there is an option:
>
> --download-hdf5-fortran-bindings=1
>
> What does this option exactly do?

Its a modifier to --download-hdf5 - i.e it enables fortran-bindings in the hdf5 build.

> And is it possible that I download these hdf5 fortran bindings and then point the PETSc Configure tot he download path? I see that it is possible to do for other packages like superlu etc.

Yes.

> If yes, any ideas on where can these fortran bindings be downloaded from?

Its not a separate download of fortran bindings [but modifier to --download-hdf5]

Here is what you would do:

balay at sb /home/balay/petsc (release=)
$ ./configure --download-hdf5=1 --download-hdf5-fortran-bindings=1 --with-packages-download-dir=$HOME/tmp
                      Configuring PETSc to compile on your system
Download the following packages to /home/balay/tmp

hdf5 ['https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/hdf5-1.12/hdf5-1.12.1/src/hdf5-1.12.1.tar.bz2', 'http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/externalpackages/hdf5-1.12.1.tar.bz2']

Then run the script again

balay at sb /home/balay/petsc (release=)
$ cd $HOME/tmp
balay at sb /home/balay/tmp
$ wget -q https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/hdf5-1.12/hdf5-1.12.1/src/hdf5-1.12.1.tar.bz2
balay at sb /home/balay/tmp
$ ls -l
total 9500
-rw-r--r--. 1 balay balay 9724309 Jul  6  2021 hdf5-1.12.1.tar.bz2
balay at sb /home/balay/tmp
$ cd -
/home/balay/petsc
balay at sb /home/balay/petsc (release=)
$ ./configure --download-hdf5=1 --download-hdf5-fortran-bindings=1 --with-packages-download-dir=$HOME/tmp
<<<<<<

Satish