[petsc-users] SLEPc solve: progress info and abort option

Varun Hiremath varunhiremath at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:07:25 CST 2022

Hi All,

We use SLEPc to compute eigenvalues of big problems which typically takes a
long time. We want to add a progress bar to inform the user of the
estimated time remaining to finish the computation. In addition, we also
want to add an option for the user to abort the computation midway if
needed.

To some extent, I am able to do these by attaching a custom function to
EPSSetStoppingTestFunction
<https://slepc.upv.es/documentation/current/docs/manualpages/EPS/EPSSetStoppingTestFunction.html#EPSSetStoppingTestFunction>
and
using nconv/nev as an indication of progress, and throwing an exception
when the user decides to abort the computation. However, since this
function gets called only once every iteration, for very big problems it
takes a long time for the program to respond. I was wondering if there is
any other function to which I can attach, which gets called more frequently
and can provide more fine-grained information on the progress.

Thanks,
Varun