[petsc-users] Loading labels from a hdf5 mesh file in parallel

Yi Jiang yi.ethan.jiang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 21:32:39 CST 2022

Dear Petsc developers,
We are trying to use the HDF5_XDMF parallel I/O feature to read/write
unstructured meshes. By trying some tests, we found that the topology and
geometry data (i.e., cells and vertices) can be efficiently loaded in a
scalable way, which is very impressive! However, we also found that all
labels (such as `cell sets', `face sets') in the .h5 file are ignored (the
.h5 file was converted from an EXODUSII mesh, by using a PetscViewer with
PETSC_VIEWER_HDF5_XDMF format). Hence, we are wondering, does the latest
Petsc also support to import these labels in parallel? In particular,
we would like to redistribute the mesh after it is parallelly loaded by the
naive partition. If so, could you please show me where to find an example
to learn the techniques?
Thank you very much for devoting the continuous efforts to the community
and keep developing these wonderful features.
Best regards,
YJ