[petsc-users] Fail function evaluation with SNES

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Jun 27 05:17:00 CDT 2022

  You would call SNESSetFunctionDomainError() or SNESSetJacobianDomainError() from within your function or Jacobian evaluation and then return from the function. This notifies SNES that the step it attempted is not acceptable to your functions.

  SNES may not be able to recover from its bad step. The simplest attempt to recover is to have SNES try a shorter step. If the bad steps come from, for example, negative pressures or other non-physical locations of the step you can try using SNESVISetVariableBounds()  and friends to tell SNES what steps to avoid.

   If you have particular cases where SNES cannot recover and you can share your code we can investigate improving the handling of this feature in SNES.

  Barry