[petsc-users] PETSc / AMRex

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 21 12:57:19 CDT 2022

(keep on the list, you will need Matt and Toby soon anyway).

So you want to add AMRex to your code.

I think the first thing that you want to do is move your DMDA code into a
DMPLex code. You can create a "box" mesh and it is not hard.
Others like Matt can give advice on how to get started on that translation.
There is a simple step to create a DMForest (p4/8est) that Matt mentioned
from the DMPlex .

Now at this point you can run your current SNES tests and get back to where
you started, but AMR is easy now.
Or as easy as it gets.

As far as AMRex, well, it's not clear what AMRex does for you at this
point.
You don't seem to have AMRex code that you want to reuse.
If there is some functionality that you need then we can talk about it or
if you have some programmatic reason to use it (eg, they are paying you)
then, again, we can talk about it.

PETSc/p4est and AMRex are similar with different strengths and design, and
you could use both but that would complicate things.

Hope that helps,
Mark