[petsc-users] Question about SuperLU

Tang, Qi tangqi at msu.edu
Fri Jun 10 09:43:43 CDT 2022

We use superlu_dist.

We have a 2 x 2 block where directly calling suplerlu_dist fails, but a pc based on a fieldsplit Schur complement + superlu_dist on the assembled Schur complement matrix converges. (All the converge criteria are default at this level)

I am having a hard time to understand what is going on. The B,V block is of size 240K, so it is also hard to analyze. And the mat is not something we explicitly formed. It is formed by finite difference coloring Jacobian + a few levels of Schur complement.

  / A 0 \
  \ 0  I /
Matt, I do not see this can explain why the second pc with superlu on S = A would succeed, if A is not full rank.

I believe I found somewhere it says petsc’s pclu (or maybe superlu_dist) did reordering and it may introduce 0 pivoting. We are asking because it seems there is something we do not understand from pclu/superlu level.

Anyway, is there a way to output the mat before it fails? We have been struggling to do that. We have TSSolve->SNES->FDColoringJacobian->A few levels of fieldsplit->failed Subblock matrix, which we want to analyze. (Sometimes it even happens in the second Newton iteration as the first one works okay.)

Qi