[petsc-users] Creating dmplex in every rank and redistributing

Prateek Gupta prateekgupta1709 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 01:29:12 CDT 2022

Hi,

Using dmplex, I am trying to create an example where I can start with a
poor distribution of an unstructured mesh (reading from a file in parallel)
and then use redistribution to optimize it.

I know that I can call ReBalanceSharedPoints on an already created
distribution from dmplexDistribute. But is it possible to initialize a
dmplex from each rank (each rank initializes its own chunk of the mesh) and
then call this function?

Most of the numbering in dmplex DAG representation is local, but while
reading from a file in parallel, I only have access to global numbering of
nodes. Do I need to reassign this to a local numbering? Is there a
datastructure within petsc that can help with this?

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Prateek Gupta, PhD