[petsc-users] DMPlex ghost cell indexing

Nicholas Arnold-Medabalimi narnoldm at umich.edu
Sun Jul 3 14:34:04 CDT 2022

Hi

Thanks for the response. I still have a bit of confusion here. To make sure
I follow I have setup a code block (at end) with options for overlap and
CreateGhostCells.

Using a 2x2x2 Box mesh I've seen the following behavior.

When I use overlap=1 I get approximately what I would expect.
If I run on 1 processor there are only 8cells and everything is normal
If I run on 2 processors each processor has 8cells (4 from the split domain
and an extra 4 extending into the neighboring cell)
My question here is how do I then differentiate the overlap cells from each
processor so that I can synchronize the extra cells as I iterate?
Both GetHeightStratum GetSimplex will identify the 8cells with no
differentiation between the partitions vs the overlap.
I believe this is the strategy that will get me the result I want where I
can synch the overlaps so that when I iterate through the "owned cells" the
stencil can reach into the overlap cells to get the information they need?

When I use ghostCellGenerate I also get what I would expect
If I run on 1 processor each of the outside faces of the cube gets an extra
cell attached so I get Box Cells 0 through 8 and then Ghost Cells 8 through
32.
If I run on 2 processors only the outside faces of the cub get the extra
cells so I get Box Cells 0 through 4 and then Ghost Cells 4 through 16
So I don't think this is what I want for my intended use?

Thanks Again

Sincerely
Nicholas

    PetscInt facecount = 10;
    PetscInt i, dim = 3, overlap = 0;
    ierr = PetscOptionsGetInt(NULL, NULL, "-facecount", &facecount, NULL);
    CHKERRQ(ierr);
    for (i = 0; i < dim; i++)
        faces[i] = facecount;
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "facecount is %d\n", facecount);
    PetscReal lower[3] = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
    PetscReal upper[3] = {2.0, 2.0, 2.0};
    ierr = DMPlexCreateBoxMesh(comm, dim, simplex, faces, lower, upper, /*
periodicity */ NULL, dmInterped, &dm);
    CHKERRQ(ierr);
    ierr = DMPlexDistribute(dm, overlap, &distributionSF, &dmDist);
    CHKERRQ(ierr);
    if (dmDist)
    {
        ierr = DMDestroy(&dm);
        CHKERRQ(ierr);
        dm = dmDist;
    }

    PetscInt ghostCells;

    PetscBool use_ghostcells = PETSC_TRUE;
    ierr = PetscOptionsGetBool(NULL, NULL, "-use_ghostcells", &use_ghostcells,
NULL);
    DM dmGhost;
    if (use_ghostcells)
    {
        ierr = DMPlexConstructGhostCells(dm, NULL, &ghostCells, &dmGhost);
        CHKERRQ(ierr);
        if (dmGhost)
        {
            PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "%dghost Cells generated\n",
ghostCells);
            ierr = DMDestroy(&dm);
            CHKERRQ(ierr);
            dm = dmGhost;
        }
        else
            PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "ghost Cells not generated
\n");
    }
    else
        PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "ghost Cells not generated\n");

    PetscInt c0, c1, f0, f1, e0, e1, v0, v1, s0, s1, g0, g1;

    DMPlexGetHeightStratum(dm, 0, &c0, &c1);
    DMPlexGetHeightStratum(dm, 1, &f0, &f1);
    DMPlexGetHeightStratum(dm, 2, &e0, &e1);
    DMPlexGetHeightStratum(dm, 3, &v0, &v1);
    DMPlexGetSimplexOrBoxCells(dm, 0, &s0, &s1);
    DMPlexGetGhostCellStratum(dm, &g0, &g1);
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "Cells:    p0:%d ,p1:%d \n", c0, c1
);
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "Faces:    p0:%d ,p1:%d \n", f0, f1
);
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "Edges:    p0:%d ,p1:%d \n", e0, e1
);
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "Vertices: p0:%d ,p1:%d \n", v0, v1
);
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "Box Cells:    p0:%d ,p1:%d \n", s0,
s1);
    PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewerstdout, "Ghost Cells:    p0:%d ,p1:%d \n",
g0, g1);

Ph.D. Candidate
Computational Aeroscience Lab
University of Michigan