[petsc-users] hypre / hip usage

Paul T. Bauman ptbauman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:29:53 CST 2022

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 8:19 AM Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:
>
> > Two questions about hypre on HIP:
> >
> > * I am doing this now. Is this correct?
> >
> >     '--download-hypre',
> >     '--download-hypre-configure-arguments=--enable-unified-memory',

Apologies for interjecting, but I want to point out here that a pretty good
chunk of BoomerAMG is ported to the GPU and you may not need this
unified-memory option. I point this out because you will get substantially
better performance without this option, i.e. using "native" GPU memory. I
do not know the intricacies of the PETSc/HYPRE/GPU interaction so maybe
PETSc won't handle the CPU->GPU memcopies for you (I'm assuming vecs, mats
are assembled on the CPU) in which case you might need the option. And if
you do run into code paths in BoomerAMG that are not ported to the GPU and
you want to use them, I'd be very interested to know what the options are
that are missing a GPU port.

Thanks,

Paul