[petsc-users] DMPlex filter with Face Sets

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 10:58:55 CST 2022

Le sam. 15 janv. 2022 à 15:23, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> a écrit :

> Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think it would be perfect if the 0-sized labels were also completely
> > filtered out. Is that something that you could add to the
> > DMPlexFliterLabels_Internal function ?
>
> Why do you want it filtered? Determining that it's zero sized requires all
> processes agreeing, and DMAddBoundary is collective so *no* ranks can add a
> boundary condition unless the label exists on *all* ranks (even if zero
> sized on many).

Well, an empty boundary condition globally-speaking will not be used -
that’s my main argument for taking it out altogether.
I understand that a bunch of extra Allgather might be too costly if many
calls to DMPlexFilter are made, but  if the users know that they’ll call it
maybe only once or twice, then it would make sense to clean the filtered
pieces. What about an option for the DMPlexFilter set to false by default
to prevent extra MPI comms?

--
Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu
—