[petsc-users] Finite difference approximation of Jacobian

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:08:43 CST 2022

Working on doing this incrementally, in progress here:
https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/4712

This works in 1D for AIJ matrices, assembling a matrix with a maximal
number of zero entries as dictated by the stencil width (which is intended
to be very very close to what DMDA would do if you
associated all the unknowns with a particular grid point, which is the way
DMStag largely works under the hood).

Dave, before I get into it, am I correct in my understanding that
MATPREALLOCATOR would be better here because you would avoid superfluous
zeros in the sparsity pattern,
because this routine wouldn't have to assemble the Mat returned by
DMCreateMatrix()?

If this seems like a sane way to go, I will continue to add some more tests
(in particular periodic BCs not tested yet) and add the code for 2D and 3D.

Am Mo., 13. Dez. 2021 um 20:17 Uhr schrieb Dave May <dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com