[petsc-users] Fluid-Structure interaction with multiple DMPlex

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 04:46:11 CST 2022

Dear all,

First of, happy new year everyone !! All the best !

I am starting to draft a new project that will be about fluid-structure
interaction: in particular, the idea is to compute the Navier-Stokes (or
Euler nevermind) flow around an object and _at the same time_ compute the
heat equation inside the object.
So basically, I am thinking a mesh of the fluid and a mesh of the object,
both meshes being linked at the fluid - solid interface.

First (Matthew maybe ?) do you think it is something that could be done
using two DMPlex's that would somehow be spawned from reading a Gmsh mesh
with two volumes ? And on one DMPlex we would have finite volume for the
fluid, on the other finite elements for the heat eqn ?

Second, is it something that anyone in the community has ever imagined
doing with PETSc DMPlex's ?

As I said it is very prospective, I just wanted to have your opinion !!

Thanks very much in advance everyone !!

Cheers,
Thibault