[petsc-users] how do you calculate the relative tolerance

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Jan 6 13:45:06 CST 2022

  This is discussed in https://petsc.org/release/docs/manual/ksp/ <https://petsc.org/release/docs/manual/ksp/> you can see the exact formulas in the code at https://petsc.org/release/src/ksp/ksp/interface/iterativ.c.html#KSPConvergedDefault <https://petsc.org/release/src/ksp/ksp/interface/iterativ.c.html#KSPConvergedDefault>

   If one uses a nonzero initial guess then there are two choices for the initial residual definition, either the residual at the initial guess or the right hand side for the problem see KSPConvergedDefaultSetUIRNorm

  Barry