[petsc-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: DM misuse causes massive memory leak?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jan 4 23:36:42 CST 2022

Please "reply all" include the list in the future.

"Ferrand, Jesus A." <FERRANJ2 at my.erau.edu> writes:

> Forgot to say thanks for the reply (my bad).
> Yes, I was indeed forgetting to pre-allocate the sparse matrices when doing them by hand (complacency seeded by MATLAB's zeros()). Thank you, Jed, and Jeremy, for the hints!
>
> I have more questions, these ones about boundary conditions (I think these are for Matt).
> In my current code I set Dirichlet conditions directly on a Mat by calling MatSetZeroRows(). I profiled my code and found the part that applies them to be unnacceptably slow. In response, I've been trying to better pre-allocate Mats using PetscSections. I have found documentation for PetscSectionSetDof(), PetscSectionSetNumFields(), PetscSectionSetFieldName(), and PetscSectionSetFieldDof(), to set the size of my Mats and Vecs by calling DMSetLocalSection() followed by DMCreateMatrix() and DMCreateLocalVector() to get a RHS vector. This seems faster.
>
> In PetscSection, what is the difference between a "field" and a "component"? For example, I could have one field "Velocity" with three components ux, uy, and uz or perhaps three fields ux, uy, and uz each with a default component?

It's just how you name them and how they appear in output. Usually "velocity" is better as a field with three components, but fields with other meaning (and perhaps different finite element spaces), such as pressure, would be different fields. Different components are always in the same FE space.

> I am struggling now to impose boundary conditions after constraining dofs using PetscSection. My understanding is that constraining dof's reduces the size of the DM's matrix but it does not give the DM knowledge of what values the constrained dofs should have, right?
>
> I know that there is DMAddBoundary(), but I am unsure of how to use it. From Gmsh I have a mesh with surface boundaries flagged. I'm not sure whether DMAddBoundary()will constrain the face, edge, or vertex points when I give it the DMLabel from Gmsh. (I need specific dof on the vertices to be constrained). I did some testing and I think DMAddBoundary() attempts to constrain the Face points (see error log below). I only associated fields with the vertices but not the Faces. I can extract the vertex points from the face label using DMPlexGetConeRecursiveVertices() but the output IS has repeated entries for the vertex points (many faces share the same vertex). Is there an easier way to get the vertex points from a gmsh surface tag?

How did you call DMAddBoundary()? Are you using DM_BC_ESSENTIAL and a callback function that provides the inhomogeneous boundary condition?

> I'm sorry this is a mouthful.

> [0]PETSC ERROR: Argument out of range
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Field number 2 must be in [0, 0)

It looks like you haven't added these fields yet.