[petsc-users] Petsc support for BoomerAMG from PCHYPRE to run on Nvidia and AMD GPUs

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Feb 23 11:23:07 CST 2022

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 11:30 AM Qi Yang <qiyang at oakland.edu> wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> Hope this email finds you well.
>
> I am a student from Oakland University who is trying to use Petsc in my
> project.
>
> I found that the Petsc 3.16 now is supporting AMG preconditioner of hypre
> with gpu on Nvidia and AMD card, however, do you use openCL to realize it ?

No

> or do you realize it by using cuda on Nvidia and hip on AMD, if it is not
> openCL, how do you enable with flag? like -pc_hypre_gamg_mat_type
> aijcusparse or just -mat_type aijcusparse(which is already used in former
> edition)?

See the docs to install PETSc with CUDA support, etc,
https://petsc.org/release/overview/

You can look at examples that use hypre, but first get your code working
with built-in solver on the CPU, then turn CUDA on (--with-cuda=1) and use
built-in solvers with CUDA (eg, -mat_type aijcusparse),
Then configure with hypre (--download-hypre) and try it with -pc_type hypre.

Good luck,
mark