[petsc-users] Creating multiple Vecs with petsc4py

Samar Khatiwala samar.khatiwala at earth.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 12 07:21:31 CST 2022

Hello,

I’d like to create an array of Vecs in petsc4py by calling VecDuplicateVecs but I can’t find the corresponding method (I’ve tried various iterations such as q = x.duplicateVecs(4), etc).
Is this not implemented in petsc4py? One workaround I’ve come up with is something like:

q={}
for i in range(0, 3):
    q[i]=x.duplicate()

Is there another/better way? And how do I then use PETSc functions that operate on Vecs (e.g., VecMAXPY)? Would I just call VecAXPY in a loop as above?

Ultimately, what I really want to do is wrap my own C functions with Cython that take an array of Vecs as an argument and then operate on them. (The function needs the entire array
of Vecs to do its thing so I can’t loop over the elements of the array.) For instance, I want to pass the q above to myCfunc(Vec *q, Vec *qout). How do I go about doing that?

Thanks very much!

Best,

Samar