[petsc-users] Gmsh 8-noded quadrilateral

Susanne Claus susanne.claus at onera.fr
Thu Feb 10 09:09:24 CST 2022

Hello,

I am using DMPlex for the mesh structure of a solid mechanics finite
element code. I mainly use gmsh as input file format. When I try to read
in 8-noded Quadrilaterals (Element type 16 in gmsh) DMPlex tells me that
this element type is unknown. However a 9-noded Quadrilateral can be
read without problem. On inspecting the plexgmsh.c source code I can see
that 8-noded quadrilaterals are deactivated:

#if 0
146:   {20, GMSH_TRI, 2, 3, 3,  9, NULL},
147:   {16, GMSH_QUA, 2, 2, 4,  8, NULL},

For our application these 8-noded quadrilateral are very important.

Is there any reason why they have not been implemented/deactivated in
the dmplex gmsh reader?

Thank you for all the great work you are doing. PETSc is amazing.

Best wishes,
Susanne Claus