[petsc-users] Petsc Section in DMPlex

Nicholas Arnold-Medabalimi narnoldm at umich.edu
Thu Dec 8 02:04:16 CST 2022

Hi Matt

I think I've gotten it just about there. I'm just having an issue with the
VecISCopy. I have an IS built that matches size correctly to map from the
full state to the filtered state. The core issue I think, is should the
expanded IS the ownership range of the vector subtracted out. Looking at
the implementation, it looks like VecISCopy takes care of that for me.
(Line 573 in src/vec/vec/utils/projection.c) But I could be mistaken.

The error I am getting is:
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type
[0]PETSC ERROR: Only owned values supported

Here is what I am currently doing.

call DMPlexFilter(dmplex_full, iBlankLabel, 1, dmplex_filtered,ierr)
call DMPlexGetSubpointIS(dmplex_filtered, subpointsIS,ierr)

! adds section to dmplex_filtered and allocates vec_filtered using
DMCreateGlobalVector
call addSectionToDMPlex(dmplex_filtered,vec_filtered)

! Get Sections for dmplex_filtered and dmplex_full
call DMGetGlobalSection(dmplex_filtered,filteredfieldSection,ierr)
call DMGetGlobalSection(dmplex_full,fullfieldSection,ierr)

call ISGetIndicesF90(subpointsIS, subPointKey,ierr)
ExpandedIndexSize = 0
do i = 1, size(subPointKey)
    call PetscSectionGetDof(fullfieldSection, subPointKey(i), dof,ierr)
    ExpandedIndexSize = ExpandedIndexSize + dof
enddo

!Create expandedIS from offset sections of full and filtered sections
allocate(ExpandedIndex(ExpandedIndexSize))
call VecGetOwnershipRange(vec_full,oStart,oEnd,ierr)
do i = 1, size(subPointKey)
    call PetscSectionGetOffset(fullfieldSection, subPointKey(i),
offset,ierr)
    call PetscSectionGetDof(fullfieldSection, subPointKey(i), dof,ierr)
    !offset=offset-oStart   !looking at VecIScopy it takes care of this
subtraction (not sure)
    do j = 1, (dof)
        ExpandedIndex((i-1)*dof+j) = offset+j
    end do
enddo

call ISCreateGeneral(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, ExpandedIndexSize, ExpandedIndex,
PETSC_COPY_VALUES, expandedIS,ierr)
call ISRestoreIndicesF90(subpointsIS, subPointKey,ierr)
deallocate(ExpandedIndex)

call VecGetLocalSize(vec_full,sizeVec,ierr)
write(*,*) sizeVec
call VecGetLocalSize(vec_filtered,sizeVec,ierr)
write(*,*) sizeVec
call ISGetLocalSize(expandedIS,sizeVec,ierr)
write(*,*) sizeVec
call PetscSynchronizedFlush(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,ierr)

call VecISCopy(vec_full,expandedIS,SCATTER_REVERSE,vec_filtered,ierr)

Thanks again for the great help.

Sincerely
Nicholas