[petsc-users] About Preconditioner and MUMPS

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 05:40:59 CST 2022

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 6:15 AM 김성익 <ksi2443 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I don't understand the meaning of
> -pc_type mpi

This option says to use the PCMPI preconditioner. This allows you to
parallelize the
solver in what is otherwise a serial code.

> -mpi_pc_type lu

This tells the underlying solver in PCMPI to use the LU preconditioner.

> What's the exact meaning of -pc_type mpi and -mpi_pc_type lu??
> Is this difference coming from 'mpi_linear_solver_server' option??

Please use -ksp_view as I asked to look at the entire solver. Send it
anytime you mail about solver questions.

  Thanks

     Matt