[petsc-users] DMDA ghosted boundary

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 12:15:45 CDT 2022

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 9:27 AM David Scott <d.scott at epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 12/08/2022 11:26, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> This email was sent to you by someone outside the University.
> You should only click on links or attachments if you are certain that the
> email is genuine and the content is safe.
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 2:21 AM Quynh Nguyen <nguyenquynh9537 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear petsc developers and users,
>>
>> I am a new petsc user ^_^.
>> I have some questions about using DMDA_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED.
>>
>> 1. I have 2D Poisson code with domain (nx, ny), and I used
>> DMDA_BOUNDARY_NONE, then the size of the matrix is (nx*ny)X(nx*ny). *what
>> is the size of the matrix if I used  DMDA_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED? is it the same
>> size as DMDA_BOUNDARY_NONE*?
>>

> Yes, the matrix should be the same size, but local vectors have extra
> ghost node slots.
>

>> 2. if the matrix size of DMDA_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED isn't the same as
>> DMDA_BOUNDARY_NONE, *how i can view the matrix including ghost points*?
>> I ask this one because I used MatView(P, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD) to show
>> the matrix but excluded ghost points.
>>

> Ghost nodes are there so that stencil operations on local vectors work at
> boundaries. You fill in the slots with boundary information.
>
> I can see how this works if you are writing your own solver but can it be
> used with a KSP? In the case of periodic boundary conditions the boundary
> values are "filled in" for you by PETSc. Is there any way for a user to
> supply boundary information to a PETSc solver when using
> DMDA_BOUNDARY_GHOSTED?

Right now, there is not. This is mainly due to the lack of consensus for
boundary condition specification. Periodic conditions are simple in this
respect.

For example, Plex has such a thing

  https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DM/DMAddBoundary/

that can be used to fill in these constrained spots

  https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/DMPlexInsertBoundaryValues/

But there have been many complaints about this interface (and I suspect any
interface we choose).

Maybe there is something that we could write that would make it easier for
you with DMDA?