[petsc-users] DMPlex Parallel Output and DMPlexCreateSection Crashes when DMPlexCreateGmshFromFile used

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 07:23:10 CDT 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 11:31 PM Mike Michell <mi.mike1021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the answers. Major reason that not to store those dual cells is
> to share the same grid file with other codes that are required for coupled
> physics modeling.

Yes, I would create the dual on startup and throw away the original mesh.

> As a follow-up question, there is struggling to use PetscSection. I
> attached my example code.
> The PETSc-provided example, "ex1f90.F90" uses DMPlexCreateSection() to
> make a PetscSection object.
> However, by reading .msh & creating a DMPlex, none of label is working
> with that, except for 'marker' label, which should be provided through
> "-dm_plex_gmsh_use_marker" option in case gmsh file is used.

I have replaced your startup code with the canonical code we use in C
examples. It should be more flexible and robust.
Here is the concise output for your mesh:

master *:~/Downloads/tmp/Mitchell/Question_3$ ./test -dm_plex_filename
new.msh -dm_view
DM Object: 1 MPI processes
  type: plex
DM_0x84000000_1 in 2 dimensions:
  Number of 0-cells per rank: 44
  Number of 1-cells per rank: 109
  Number of 2-cells per rank: 66
Labels:
  celltype: 3 strata with value/size (0 (44), 3 (66), 1 (109))
  depth: 3 strata with value/size (0 (44), 1 (109), 2 (66))
  Face Sets: 4 strata with value/size (5 (5), 7 (5), 6 (5), 8 (5))

The original code was built to take GMsh markers to canonical names because
users wanted that. However, if you want your names preserved, you can use

master *:~/Downloads/tmp/Mitchell/Question_3$ ./test -dm_plex_filename
new.msh -dm_view -dm_plex_gmsh_use_regions
 MPI information ...            0           1
DM Object: 1 MPI processes
  type: plex
DM_0x84000000_1 in 2 dimensions:
  Number of 0-cells per rank: 44
  Number of 1-cells per rank: 109
  Number of 2-cells per rank: 66
Labels:
  celltype: 3 strata with value/size (0 (44), 3 (66), 1 (109))
  depth: 3 strata with value/size (0 (44), 1 (109), 2 (66))
  inlet: 1 strata with value/size (5 (5))
  upper: 1 strata with value/size (7 (5))
  outlet: 1 strata with value/size (6 (5))
  lower: 1 strata with value/size (8 (5))

There is also code to mark vertices, which some users do not want, that you
can turn on using -dm_plex_gmsh_mark_vertices. I use both of these options
with PyLith.

> In my .msh file, there are several boundary conditions, and if I declare
> labels using them and try to give them to DMGetStratumIS(), the code
> crashed. It only works with 'marker' label. Any comments?
> More importantly, trying to use DMPlexCreateSection() is quite painful.

What is not working for you?

> Therefore, I tried to create PetscSection object through
> PetscSectionCreate() as attached. But declared vectors are not printed out
> if I use this way.

If you used the default viewer (PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD), you can see
them printed. You are using VTK with a Section that put values on all mesh
points. VTK only understands cell fields and vertex fields, so the code
does not know how to output this vector. If you define values only on cells
or vertices, you will see the output. I believe.