[petsc-users] [EXT] Re: TSAdapt minimum step and exact final time

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Apr 21 08:06:28 CDT 2022

> On Apr 21, 2022, at 8:52 AM, Phlipot, Greg <Greg.Phlipot at jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>
> I wish I could give you an definitive reason why, but I can't. Before
> TS gets into this situtation where it needs to take a tiny time step,
> TS takes time steps of ~1.0, and the shift in TSSetIJacobian is ~1.0.
> Then it gets really close to the max time and the time step drops to
> ~1e-12 and the shift in TSSetIJacobian becomes ~1e12.
>
> When this happens, my ILU-preconditioned gmres linear solve converges
> in a single interation, and the backtracking line search in my newton
> solver fails.

  This is worth investigating. You can run with -ksp_monitor_true_residual -ksp_converged_reason -snes_linesearch_monitor (preferably if you can rig the code to "restart" near the end of the time interval so you don't have to spew this stuff out for many time-steps).

  A tiny time-step generally produces a well-conditioned linear system (and nonlinear I would think also) so it may be peculiar to your ILU and tolerances that are causing this situation.

  I am bothered by the sudden absurdly small time step (not being an ODE expert) and would hope that the adaptor could, for example, when it realizes a tiny step would be next back up one step and do that one step again with a modestly smaller time-step so that the last time-step is reasonably sized.

Barry