[petsc-users] [EXT] Re: TSAdapt minimum step and exact final time

Phlipot, Greg Greg.Phlipot at jhuapl.edu
Thu Apr 21 07:32:32 CDT 2022

Matt,

That may work -- I'm just a little apprehensive about letting it step
past max time.

One reason is because I have a forcing function that isn't defined past
the max time. I would need to find some way of extrapolating the
function past the max time (e.g. just use the value at the max time?
linearly extrapolate? etc.) which wouldn't be my first choice.

There are some other (not very good) reasons that are related to the
specifics of the legacy code I am using to compute the residual. But
having it stop at max time is most convenient so I'm trying to see if I
can get that to work.

The very hacky work around that I have right now is to add in logic to
my function (set with TSetIFunction) to "skip" steps that start within
dt_min of the max time by just filling the residual vector with zero.
I'm using a BDF method so I would think this just use the extrapolated
state from the previous steps at the max time which may not be too
terrible since the time step is so tiny.

But this obviously isn't ideal (among the reasons is the adaptive time
stepper now picks the next step that is also tiny since it doesn't
increase the time step by too much in subsequent iterations).

Thank you,
Greg