[petsc-users] Local refinements of tetrahedron elements

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 08:17:46 CDT 2022

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 10:14 AM Ce Qin <qince168 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to implement the adaptive finite element method using the DMPlex
> interface. So I would like to know whether DMPlex supports local (also
> hierarchical) refinements of tetrahedron elements. I found that there is an
> adaptation method called SBR, but it seems that it only supports triangle
> elements.

Sorry this took me a while.

You are right, I have not implemented the 3D version yet. It is
straightforward, but in the paper there are 96 cases. I would like
to automatically generate that, but I need to figure out how that would go.
Right now all the adaptation requests have been for
2D, or used ParMMG which works in 3D for PETSc right now.