[petsc-users] [KSP] solveTranspose fails with Strumpack and SuperLU_dist

Jean Marques jeanmarques.eng at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:52:33 CDT 2022

Hi all,

This may be a naive question, and I hope this is the right place to ask
about it.
I need to solve a direct linear system with a sparse matrix R, then an
adjoint system the hermitian of R.

I use a petsc4py, so what I do is this:
self.R.setUp()
to set up the PETSc KSP variable R, then I do:
self.R.solve(f, q)
and later:
self.R.solveTranspose(f, q)

However, 'solveTranspose()' only works when I use MUMPS. If I try STRUMPACK
or SUPERLU_DIST it fails, it seems that 'solveTranpose()' is not defined
for them? or is there a specific way to call them with these libraries?
Maybe the approach would be to define another 'self.R' variable but then
set it as a transpose().conjugate() before setUp()?
I was trying STRUMPACK because it has a low-memory approach and that's my
main bottleneck.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Best,
Jean