[petsc-users] SLEPc: smallest eigenvalues

Varun Hiremath varunhiremath at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:38:27 CDT 2021

Hi Jose,

Thank you, that explains it and my example code works now without
specifying "-eps_target 0" in the command line.

However, both the Krylov inexact shift-invert and JD solvers are struggling
to converge for some of my actual problems. The issue seems to be related
to non-symmetric general matrices. I have extracted one such matrix
attached here as MatA.gz (size 100k), and have also included a short
program that loads this matrix and then computes the smallest eigenvalues
as I described earlier.

For this matrix, if I compute the eigenvalues directly (without using the
shell matrix) using shift-and-invert (as below) then it converges in less
than a minute.
$ ./acoustic_matrix_test.o -shell 0 -st_type sinvert -deflate 1

However, if I use the shell matrix and use any of the preconditioned
solvers JD or Krylov shift-invert (as shown below) with the same matrix as
the preconditioner, then they struggle to converge.
$ ./acoustic_matrix_test.o -usejd 1 -deflate 1
$ ./acoustic_matrix_test.o -sinvert 1 -deflate 1

Could you please check the attached code and suggest any changes in
settings that might help with convergence for these kinds of matrices? I
appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Varun