[petsc-users] TSBDF info

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Thu Sep 2 11:32:34 CDT 2021

On Sep 2, 2021, at 9:24 AM, Alfredo J Duarte Gomez <aduarteg at utexas.edu<mailto:aduarteg at utexas.edu>> wrote:

Good morning PETSC team,

I am looking to implement a fully implicit BDF-DAE solver and I came across the TSBDF object https://petsc.org/release/src/ts/impls/bdf/bdf.c.html#TSBDF.

This seems to be exactly what I am looking for, but I still have questions and I can't seem to find much from it in the documentation or the users manual.

The key question for me is whether this is implementation is a Variable Leading Coefficient BDF or Fixed-Leading Coefficient BDF (such as CVODE). This impacts my ability of reusing matrix factorizations.

It is not FLC BDF. It uses the classic variable-step formula that computes the coefficients from the last stepsizes.

Hong (Mr.)

Thank you,

-Alfredo

--