[petsc-users] Convergence on Axisymmetric Poisson matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Oct 25 08:33:50 CDT 2021

   Are you running with -ksp_monitor_true_residual to track the b - A*x residual instead of just the preconditioned residual?

   GAMG definitely does not symmetrize the system but it is possible the preconditioner results in the solve "not seeing" the unsymmetry during the solution process and hence CG still converging; it would be dangerous to rely on this in general I think. You could also run this case with GMRES to see if that is better than the CG iterations.

   Barry