[petsc-users] SLEPc: smallest eigenvalues

Varun Hiremath varunhiremath at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 01:04:19 CDT 2021

Hi Jose,

I have now gotten the quadratic problem working decently using the PEP
package with appropriate scaling and preconditioning, so thanks for all the
suggestions! For the case where K is a shell matrix, I used a scaling based
on an approximation of K, and that seems to be working well.

So now that both linear and quadratic problems are working, I wanted to get
your suggestions on solving a non-linear problem. In some of our cases, we
have a non-linear source term S(lambda) on the right-hand side of the
equation as follows:
    (K + lambda*C + lambda^2*M)*x = S(lambda)*x,
where the source can sometimes be simplified as S(lambda) =
exp(lambda*t)*A, where A is a constant matrix.

I am currently solving this non-linear problem iteratively. For each
eigenvalue, I compute the source and add it into the K matrix, and then
iterate until convergence. For this reason, I end up solving the system
multiple times which makes it very slow. I saw some examples of non-linear
problems included in the NEP package. I just wanted to get your thoughts if
I would benefit from using the NEP package for this particular problem?
Will I be able to use preconditioning and scaling as with the PEP package
to speed up the computation for the case where K is a shell matrix? Thanks
for your help.

Regards,
Varun