[petsc-users] Error Writing Large HDF5 File

Lawrence Mitchell wence at gmx.li
Fri Nov 26 09:25:19 CST 2021

This is failing setting the chunksize:
https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/blob/main/src/dm/impls/da/gr2.c#L517

It is hard for me to follow this code, but it looks like the chunk is just
set to the total extent of the DA (on the process?). This can grow too
large for HDF5, which has limits described here
https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/Advanced/Chunking/

chunks must have fewer than 2^32-1 elements and a max size of 4GB

I suspect you’re hitting that limit.

I guess this part of the code should be fully refactored to set sensible
chunk sizes. That same document suggests 1MB is a good option.

Lawrence