[petsc-users] Doubt about BT and BASIC NEWTONLS

Francesc Levrero-Florencio f.levrero-florencio at onscale.com
Wed Nov 17 15:17:36 CST 2021

Hi Jed,

Thanks for the information.

Yes, we set the rows and cols of the matrix for essential BCs to zero
(except diagonal, to 1). For homogeneous BCs it would be exactly as the
first term you mentioned in the link, and for nonhomogeneous BCs it would
be both terms, but the second one not scale (i.e. alpha set to 1).

I have tried a few of the line searches, "bt" does not work, but "cp" does
progress for a few time steps, with reasonable numbers of Newton iterations
(ends up stalling though). It does look to me that the "bt" line search
seems to "get stuck" on a local minima, while the full Newton, maybe due to
the size of the step, gets to overcome it. I am just a bit "surprised"
because in my experience line searches, particularly of the "bt" kind, tend
to improve, or at least not decrease, the convergence behaviour of the
Newton solver.

Regards,
Francesc.