[petsc-users] How to construct DMPlex of cells with different topological dimension?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:12:36 CDT 2021

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 8:06 AM TARDIEU Nicolas <nicolas.tardieu at edf.fr>
wrote:

> Dear Matt,
>
> Thank you for the additional information.
> I do agree that I will have to write code to describe the interpolation I
> need for a multi-model problem.
> Let me try to illustrate my point on the simple mesh I have attached to
> this email. It is done with Gmsh but other generators I use can do the same.
> The mesh is composed of :
>
> - a 3D part, volume_3d, where continuum mechanics equations will be
> assigned (displacement dof)
> - a 2D part, neumann_2d, which is a face of volume_3d and that will be
> used to integrate a Neumann condition assigned to volume_3d (it shares the
> displacement dof of volume_3d)
> - a 2D part, shell_2d, where shell equations will be assigned
> (displacement+rotation dof)
> - a 1D part, beam_1d, where beam equations will be assigned
>  (displacement+rotation dof)
>
> I can imagine that it is impossible, only from the knowledge of the mesh,
> to guess the interpolation. But I would be happy to try to write a small
> DMPlex test to try to describe such a model with a little help from you or
> another PETSc practitioner.

That is a good idea. I think we can use the pieces we have to build what
you want automatically. Cn you send me the *.msh for this.
I do not even have GMsh running on my machine, so I cannot process the .geo
:) When we read in GMah files, we mark the cell type.
However, I think we automatically try to find lower dimensional pieces in
the existing mesh (since that is what people usually want, like
your neumann section), so we would need a way to indicate that we are
specifying lower dimensional pieces that are not part of a
volumetric piece.