[petsc-users] DMPlex and Boundary facets

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:02:04 CDT 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:57 AM Karin&NiKo <niko.karin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much Lawrence.
> Are the names lost or are they saved somewhere ?
> If I do : "./ex2 -filename /tmp/test/Cube_with_facets.msh4 -dm_view
> vtk:/tmp/foo.vtk" , I only get the tets of the initial mesh.

Yes, the names are lost. Jed, Lisandro and Stefano have also asked me about
this. I have not done since everything is currently done by
number in Plex. It would involve either

a) making a separate table in the DM which translates names to numbers

or

b) putting such a translation table in the DMLabel itself

I am putting it off because doing some short is not hard, but getting it to
work with everything else would be somewhat of a pain.
It would need to distribute properly, propagate to refined/coarsened/subset
meshes, etc. which labels currently do. It would not
be properly passed on when you just set an int on a point. I think it will
happen eventually, but I don't think I have time in the next
few weeks.