[petsc-users] reuse a real matrix for a second linear system with complex numbers

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 17 06:37:50 CDT 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 5:18 AM feng wang <snailsoar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mat,
>
> I have tried the 1st approach you suggested, which re-configures petsc
> with complex numbers. For my real-number system, Ax=B, it still works fine.
> I would like to save a copy a A, because for my complex system (A + i*w) Z
> = C, the value of "w" could be a list of values,  so I only need to do a
> MatShift for my saved copy of A to build the LHS for each "w".
>
> I am trying to use MatDuplicate to create the copy of "A" and MatCopy to
> copy the values of "A". the following is what I do.  "petsc_A_pre" is "A"
> and "petsc_A_pre_copy" is its copy.
>
>       ierr = MatCreateBAIJ(*A_COMM_WORLD, blocksize, nlocal*blocksize,
> nlocal*blocksize, PETSC_DETERMINE, PETSC_DETERMINE,
>                             maxneig, NULL, maxneig, NULL, &petsc_A_pre);
> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>       ierr = MatSetOption(petsc_A_pre, MAT_STRUCTURALLY_SYMMETRIC,
> PETSC_TRUE); CHKERRQ(ierr);
>       ierr = MatDuplicate(petsc_A_pre, MAT_SHARE_NONZERO_PATTERN,
> &petsc_A_pre_copy); CHKERRQ(ierr);   *//line 69*
>
> .....some operations.....
>
>          ierr =
> MatAssemblyBegin(petsc_A_pre,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>          ierr =
> MatAssemblyEnd(petsc_A_pre,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>
>          ierr = MatCopy(petsc_A_pre, petsc_A_pre_copy,
> SAME_NONZERO_PATTERN);
>          ierr =
> MatAssemblyBegin(petsc_A_pre_copy,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>          ierr =
> MatAssemblyEnd(petsc_A_pre_copy,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>

> I get the following error for MatDuplicate and MatCopy:
>
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc has generated inconsistent data
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Corrupt matrix
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
> for trouble shooting.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.14.4, unknown
> [0]PETSC ERROR: cfd on a arch-linux2-c-debug named snail by snail Mon May
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --with-cc=mpicc --with-cxx=mpicxx
> --with-fc=0 --with-scalar-type=complex
> [0]PETSC ERROR: #1 MatDuplicateNoCreate_SeqBAIJ() line 3103 in
> /home/feng/cfd/petsc.complex/src/mat/impls/baij/seq/baij.c
> [0]PETSC ERROR: #2 MatDuplicate_SeqBAIJ() line 3215 in
> /home/feng/cfd/petsc.complex/src/mat/impls/baij/seq/baij.c
> [0]PETSC ERROR: #3 MatDuplicate() line 4663 in
> /home/feng/cfd/petsc.complex/src/mat/interface/matrix.c
> [0]PETSC ERROR: #4 petsc_nk_init() line 69 in domain/cfd/petsc_nk.cpp

Your matrix is actually corrupt. We have to fix this. It is either a PETSc
bug or a bug in your code. Would you be able to send us a stripped down
version of your code (say one that puts in all zeros, or similarly
simplified), so we can track down where this is?

Alternatively, you can run under valgrind, since this looks like a memory
overwrite.