[petsc-users] Binary format in real vs. complex scalar type configurations

Pierre Jolivet pierre at joliv.et
Wed May 12 01:17:21 CDT 2021

> On 11 May 2021, at 6:26 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:03 PM Pierre Jolivet <pierre at joliv.et <mailto:pierre at joliv.et>> wrote:
> Hello Frederico,
> I’m not sure that’s possible.
> Here is what I do, it makes me sick, but mixing precisions/scalar types with PETSc is difficult (crossing my fingers this will be better with future).
> In MATLAB (after putting petsc/share/petsc/matlab in the path):
> A = PetscBinaryRead('your_binary_mat_with_re+im.dat','complex',true); % scalar-type=complex
> PetscBinaryWrite('re.dat',real(A)); % scalar-type=real
> PetscBinaryWrite('im.dat',imag(A)); % scalar-type=real
>
> So what you want to happen is that MatLoad() looks at the datatype, sees that it is complex and PetscScalar is real, and returns two matrices with the real and imaginary parts?
>
> The hard part is that the MatLoad interface returns a single matrix.

There is Mat[Real,Imaginary]Part(), maybe there could be Mat[Real,Imaginary]PartLoad()?
It will be inefficient (complex Mat read twice in a very naive implementation), but functional and would not require tinkering with the options (but maybe you had something clear in mind).
Also, just for reference, https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/901 <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/901>.

Frederico, as Barry wrote, it will work with Octave or Python. In fact, it will work in any code that does not include petsc.h or link to libpetsc.
If you want to stick to C, I think you could simply copy/paste the MatLoad_SeqAIJ_Binary() implementation https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-3.15.0/src/mat/impls/aij/seq/aij.c.html#line4811 <https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/mat/impls/aij/seq/aij.c.html#line4811> and replace PETSC_SCALAR line 4861 by PETSC_COMPLEX.
Then, as Matt wrote, instead of assembling a single Mat, assemble two Mats by splitting a->a in two PetscScalar arrays (remember that this is for your scalar-type=real configuration).

Thanks,
Pierre