[petsc-users] Detecting steady-state with TS

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Sat May 1 09:02:29 CDT 2021

Although TSMonitor may also work, I would suggest to use TSPostStep for the customized convergence check. TSPostStep allows to modify the system or change the solver settings. It skips the time steps that are rolled back (e.g. rejected time steps), but TSMonitor is applied to every time step including the rejected ones.

For time derivative, I would just do a RHS function evaluation if the extra cost is acceptable. If not, then I would consider caching the current solution in TSPostStep.

Hong (Mr.)