[petsc-users] Questions on matrix-free GMRES implementation

feng wang snailsoar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:22:22 CDT 2021

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

In the end I used a shell matrix to compute the matrix-vector product, it is clearer to me and there are more things under my control.  I am now trying to do a parallel implementation, I have some questions on setting up parallel matrices and vectors for a user-defined partition, could you please provide some advice? Suppose I have already got a partition for 2 CPUs. Each cpu is assigned a list of elements and also their halo elements.

  1.  The global element index for each partition is not necessarily continuous, do I have to I re-order them to make them continuous?
  2.  When I set up the size of the matrix and vectors for each cpu, should I take into account the halo elements?
  3.  In my serial version, when I initialize my RHS vector, I am not using VecSetValues, Instead I use VecGetArray/VecRestoreArray to assign the values.  VecAssemblyBegin()/VecAssemblyEnd() is never used. would this still work for a parallel version?

Thanks,
Feng