[petsc-users] error message

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:43:50 CDT 2021

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 19:50, Sam Guo <sam.guo at cd-adapco.com> wrote:

> Dear PETSc dev team,
>    When there is an PETSc error, I go following overly verbose error
> message. Is it possible to get a simple error message like "Initial vector
> is zero or belongs to the deflection space"?

When an error occurs and the execution is halted, a verbose and informative
error message is shown.
I would argue this is useful (very useful), and should never ever be
shortened or truncated.

This error thrown by PETSc gives you a stack trace. You can see where the
error occurred, and the calling code which resulted in the error. In
anything but a trivial code, this information is incredibly useful to
isolate and fix the problem. I also think it's neat that you see the stack
without having to even use a debugger.

Currently if your code does not produce errors, no message is displayed.
However, when an error occurs, a loud, long and informative message is
displayed - and the code stops.
What is the use case which would cause / require you to change the current
behaviour?

Thanks,
Dave