[petsc-users] DMPlex in Firedrake: scaling of mesh distribution

Matthew Knepley knepley at buffalo.edu
Sun Mar 7 07:23:27 CST 2021

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 8:20 AM Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Is phase 1 the old method and 2 the new?
> Is this 128^3 mesh per process?

Both phases are the same method. My interpretation is that there is severe
message congestion. Sending fewer bigger messages in a phase 1, and then
rebalancing locally in a phase 2, both using the same communication method,
is much faster than just directly communicating the data in a single phase.

   Matt