[petsc-users] DMPlex in Firedrake: scaling of mesh distribution

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Sun Mar 7 05:12:45 CST 2021

  mat/tests/ex13.c creates a sequential AIJ matrix, converts it to the same format, reorders it and then prints it and the reordering in ASCII. Each of these steps is sequential and takes place on each rank. The prints are ASCII stdout on the ranks.

  ierr = MatCreateSeqAIJ(PETSC_COMM_SELF,m*n,m*n,5,NULL,&C);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  /* create the matrix for the five point stencil, YET AGAIN*/
  for (i=0; i<m; i++) {
    for (j=0; j<n; j++) {
      v = -1.0;  Ii = j + n*i;
      if (i>0)   {J = Ii - n; ierr = MatSetValues(C,1,&Ii,1,&J,&v,INSERT_VALUES);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
      if (i<m-1) {J = Ii + n; ierr = MatSetValues(C,1,&Ii,1,&J,&v,INSERT_VALUES);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
      if (j>0)   {J = Ii - 1; ierr = MatSetValues(C,1,&Ii,1,&J,&v,INSERT_VALUES);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
      if (j<n-1) {J = Ii + 1; ierr = MatSetValues(C,1,&Ii,1,&J,&v,INSERT_VALUES);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
      v = 4.0; ierr = MatSetValues(C,1,&Ii,1,&Ii,&v,INSERT_VALUES);CHKERRQ(ierr);
    }
  }
  ierr = MatAssemblyBegin(C,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatAssemblyEnd(C,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  ierr = MatConvert(C,MATSAME,MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX,&A);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  ierr = MatGetOrdering(A,MATORDERINGND,&perm,&iperm);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = ISView(perm,PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_SELF);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = ISView(iperm,PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_SELF);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatView(A,PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_SELF);CHKERRQ(ierr);

I think each rank would simply be running the same code and dumping everything to its own stdout.

At some point within the system/MPI executor there is code that merges and print outs the stdout of each rank. If the test does truly take 45 minutes than Fugaku has a classic bug of not being able to efficiently merge stdout from each of the ranks. Nothing really to do with PETSc, just neglect of Fugaku developers to respect all aspects of developing a HPC system. Heck, they only had a billion dollars, can't expect them to do what other scalable systems do :-).

One should be able to reproduce this with a simple MPI program that prints a moderate amount of data to stdout on each rank.

 Barry