[petsc-users] DMPlex in Firedrake: scaling of mesh distribution

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Mar 5 18:05:49 CST 2021

  Alexei,

     Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the mesh distribution step. Based on the figures you included, the extreme difficulties  occur on the Oak Ridge Summit system? But on the Argonne Theta system though the distribution time goes up it does not dominate the computation?

   There is a very short discussion of mesh distribution in https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.13018 <https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.13018> section 6.3 Figure 11 that was run on the Summit system.

    Certainly there is no intention that mesh distribution dominates the entire computation, your particular case and the behavior of DMPLEX would need to understood on Summit to determine the problems.

    DMPLEX and all its related components are rapidly evolving and hence performance can change quickly with new updates. I urge you to use the main branch of PETSc for HPC and timing studies of DMPLEX performance on large systems, do not just use PETSc releases. You can communicate directly with those working on scaling DMPLEX at gitlab.com/petsc/petsc <http://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc> who can help understand the cause of the performance issues on Summit.

  Barry