[petsc-users] Visualization and I/O

Alfredo J Duarte Gomez aduarteg at utexas.edu
Wed Jun 30 21:17:55 CDT 2021

Good evening,

My group and I are in the process of developing an application using PETSc,
and we are currently planning and figuring out the best objects to do this.
I currently have some questions about visualization and I/O.

Some of the most important features that we want in the process of
developing this code is the ability for easy checkpoint/restarts and
visualization. As we are working with a time dependent PDE, I have
stumbled upon the "ts" and "tstrajectory" objects that seem to have some
very helpful features. However, I am having some trouble extracting
information out of the the "tstrajectory" object in an HDF5 format. I
initially thought something like this would work, where tj was obtained
using TSGetTrajectory(ts,&tj) after a successful solve of the ts object:

PetscViewer viewer;
PetscViewerHDF5Open(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,"output.h5",FILE_MODE_WRITE,&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
TSTrajectoryView(tj,viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
PetscViewerDestroy(&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);

However, the output file comes out empty. Do I have to extract the
solutions one by one? How would I do that? Does the HDF5 viewer only work
with vector objects or can it be generalized to other objects? I am trying
to maintain the highest degree of abstraction possible (i.e. multiple 2d
ode solutions in one hdf5 file).

This seems favorable to me because it would be easy to use the HDF5 file
for postprocessing/visualization and restarts, but let me know if you think
this is a bad idea and it would be better to just use the HDF5 for
output/postprocess and use native PETSc binary files for restarts.

Additionally, as I move towards large visualizations, I would like to use
Paraview. I saw that the best way of doing this is to use the petsc_gen_xdmf.py
script on an HDF5 solution file. Is this still the best way for PETSc
visualization with Paraview?

Thank you,

--
Alfredo Duarte