[petsc-users] best way to output in parallel data from DMDA (levelset) finite difference simulation

Matteo Semplice matteo.semplice at uninsubria.it
Fri Jul 9 09:03:37 CDT 2021

Dear all,

     it seems it should be a fairly straighforward thing to do but I am
struggling with the output of my finite difference simulation.

I have tried adapting my XML ascii VTK output routines that work nicely
for finite volumes (but I have issues at points where 4 CPU subdomains
touch), with an HDF5 PetscViewer (for which I cannot get a correct xdmf
file) and few other random attempts, but neither got me a fully
satisfactory result. Rather than correcting my attempts, I am ready to
start afresh, also since this project will end up with much larger
meshes than those I am used to.

In your experience, what is the best way to output data

- associated to a DMDA with more than one scalar fields, so that each
variable can be visualized independently (dof 0 to scalar field "A", dof
1 to field "B", etc)

- compatible with paraview (or visit or any other free tool on linux, if
it need be)

- with decent scaling, i.e. Vec data should be written directly by each CPU

- binary format so that files are not incredibly huge is a plus

- (bonus point) in the (not so) long run this will become a method for
an arbitrary  subdomain of the Cartesian grid defined by a level-set
function, so a way to distinguish the points of the DMDA that are
outside the physical domain would be a bonus (for example I could easily
fill the Vec with NaNs for those points as long as the
output/visualization can handle this).

Thanks in advance!

Best

     Matteo