[petsc-users] creation of parallel dmplex from a partitioned mesh

Cameron Smith smithc11 at rpi.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:57:47 CST 2021

Hello,

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

We made progress with creation of a distributed dmplex that matches our
source mesh partition and are in need of help writing values into a
vector created from the dmplex object.

As discussed previously, we have created a DMPlex instance using:

DMPlexCreateFromCellListPetsc(...)
DMGetPointSF(...)
PetscSFSetGraph(...)

which gives us a distribution of mesh vertices and elements in the DM
object that matches the element-based partition of our unstructured mesh.

We then mark mesh vertices on the geometric model boundary using
DMSetLabelValue(...) and a map from our mesh vertices to dmplex points
(created during dmplex definition of vtx coordinates).

Following this, we create a section for vertices:

>     DMPlexGetDepthStratum(dm, 0, &vStart, &vEnd);
>     PetscSectionCreate(PetscObjectComm((PetscObject) dm), &s);
>     PetscSectionSetNumFields(s, 1);
>     PetscSectionSetFieldComponents(s, 0, 1);
>     PetscSectionSetChart(s, vStart, vEnd);
>     for(PetscInt v = vStart; v < vEnd; ++v) {
>         PetscSectionSetDof(s, v, 1);
>         PetscSectionSetFieldDof(s, v, 0, 1);
>     }
>     PetscSectionSetUp(s);
>     DMSetLocalSection(dm, s);
>     PetscSectionDestroy(&s);
>     DMGetGlobalSection(dm,&s); //update the global section

We then try to write values into a local Vec for the on-process vertices
(roots and leaves in sf terms) and hit an ordering problem.
Specifically, we make the following sequence of calls:

DMGetLocalVector(dm,&bloc);
VecGetArrayWrite(bloc, &bwrite);
//for loop to write values to bwrite
VecRestoreArrayWrite(bloc, &bwrite);
DMLocalToGlobal(dm,bloc,INSERT_VALUES,b);
DMRestoreLocalVector(dm,&bloc);

Visualizing Vec 'b' in paraview, and the
original mesh, tells us that the dmplex topology and geometry (the
vertex coordinates) are correct but that the order we write values is
wrong (not total garbage... but clearly shifted).

Is there anything obviously wrong in our described approach?  I suspect
the section creation is wrong and/or we don't understand the order of
entries in the array returned by VecGetArrayWrite.

Please let us know if other info is needed.  We are happy to share the
relevant source code.

Thank-you,
Cameron