[petsc-users] using preconditioner with SLEPc

Florian Bruckner e0425375 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 02:32:26 CST 2021

Dear Jose, Dear Matt,

I needed some time to think about your answers.
If I understand correctly, the eigenmode solver internally uses A0^{-1}*B0,
which is normally handled by the ST object, which creates a KSP solver and
a corresponding preconditioner.
What I would need is an interface to provide not only the system Matrix A0
(which is an operator), but also a preconditioning matrix (sparse
approximation of the operator).
Unfortunately this interface is not available, right?

Matt directly creates A0^{-1}*B0 as a matshell operator. The operator uses
a KSP with a proper PC internally. SLEPc would directly get A0^{-1}*B0 and
solve a standard eigenvalue problem with this modified operator. Did I
understand this correctly?

I have two further points, which I did not mention yet: the matrix B0 is
Hermitian, but it is (purely) imaginary (B0.real=0). Right now, I am using
Firedrake to set up the PETSc system matrices A0, i*B0 (which is real).
Then I convert them into ScipyLinearOperators and use
scipy.sparse.eigsh(B0, b=A0, Minv=Minv) to calculate the eigenvalues.
Minv=A0^-1 is also solving within scipy using a preconditioned gmres.
Advantage of this setup is that the imaginary B0 can be handled efficiently
and also the post-processing of the eigenvectors (which requires complex
arithmetics) is simplified.

Nevertheless I think that the mixing of PETSc and Scipy looks too
complicated and is not very flexible.
If I would use Matt's approach, could I then simply switch between multiple
standard eigenvalue methods (e.g. LOBPCG)? or is it limited due to the use
of matshell?
Is there a solution for the imaginary B0, or do I have to use the
non-hermitian methods? Is this a large performance drawback?

thanks again,
and best wishes
Florian