[petsc-users] Tips on integrating MPI ksp petsc into my application?

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Dec 13 13:51:05 CST 2021

  Sorry, I didn't notice these emails for a long time.

  PETSc does provide a "simple" mechanism to redistribute your matrix that does not require you to explicitly do the redistribution.

  You must create a MPIAIJ matrix over all the MPI ranks, but simply provide all the rows on the first rank and zero rows on the rest of the ranks (you can use MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays <https://petsc.org/release/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays.html#MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays>) then use -ksp_type preonly -pc_type redistribute  You control the parallel KSP and preconditioner by using for example -redistribute_ksp_type gmres -redistribute_pc_type bjacobi

  Barry

The PC type of redistribute manages distributing the matrix and vectors across all the ranks for you. As the PETSc documentation notes this is not a recommended use of PETSc for large numbers of ranks, due to Amdahl's law; for truly good parallel performance you must build the matrix in parallel.